Twitter Facebook RSS

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rolling in the deep

| | 0 comments
First off I would like to say I am sorry for not posting. I have been so busy with my personal life and I didn't get a chance to even update my latest creations. At work I have been constantly designing and it has been tough for me to go home and cook / bake. But I am excited today to share with you guys some interesting and tasty baked goods.

First off:
Mini Lemon Meringue Cheese Cake. 

This was from Anna Olson's "Fresh" and the beauty of this is its in little bites that make you believe that they're low in calories. Haha. Anyways heres how it goes


baked at 350
Crust:
graham cracker crumbs
unsalted butter
sugar

Cheesecake
room temperature cream cheese
sugar
cornstarch
finely grated lemon zest
lemon juice
large egg at room temperture

Meringue
large egg whites
lemon juice
sugar
cornstarch


The beauty of this is it's simple math, make the crust, add cream cheese filling(bake and cool) and then top it off with meringue (bake and cool). This is literally a crowd pleaser, I served this to my family and relatives and I got nothing but good reviews. Too bad I mis-caluated the amount of cream cheese but to me it was just right.

I felt that I could have added more lemon flavour to it since I love lemon and so does my mom but I will re-visit this again.





he wanted to make a dessert buffet, he did a great job =)

Anna Olson: Jazzy "Platz"
Lately I have been craving for something, fruity and rich in spices. I was flipping through the book and I landed on this recipe, so I decided to give it a shot.

This is a fruit-laden coffee cake that smells and tastes just right. When I say just right it means it has a well balanced spice and fruit taste to it. The fruit can be anything that is in season like apples, rhubarb and plums.

Heres whats in it:
sugar
unsalted butter at room temp
sour cream
large eggs at room temp
vanilla extract
almond extract
all purpose flour
ground almonds
lemon zest
baking powder
ground nutmeg
salt
mixed fruits ( I used peaches, apricot, raspberries and blueberries )


Like most of Anna's recipes, this was a no brainer. The only thing I had trouble with was the baking part, it always tells me to bake between a certain time but never gives me an exact time. To be honest, all ovens are different but I always aim for the shortest time in her book and test before baking any further.

The cake turned out just how I imagined it but it rose a little too much? The raspberries didn't give me that rich red that I wanted when I cut into each slice maybe I'll use strawberries next time.

The texture of this cake was divine, it was soft and fluffy just like cakes from Starbucks. The fruit was not over powering and the spices had a nice kick to it. Purely amazing.







jazzy phatz

Today was baptism day! A lot of my brothers and sisters got baptised and I am very happy for them that they found new life! This is so inspirational to me and makes me want to find the perfect me which I will. No one can stop me, I am on fire! =)

Before I end this blog, I just want to say that taking pictures of food is a challenge of its own. I really want to buy a SLR camera but I am "bank modding." Haha.


congrats cat and katy!

iphone sucks =(

0 comments:

Post a Comment